|Born||1977 (age 39–40)
Ljubljana, Socialist Republic of Slovenia, Yugoslavia
|Alma mater||University of Ljubljana|
Marjan Šarec (born 1977) is a Slovenian politician and actor.
After finishing high school in 1996, Šarec graduated as an actor from the Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television in 2001. In the following years, he was actively involved with the Slovenian National television, appearing in Sašo Hribar's radio show Radio Ga-Ga and TV show Hri-bar. Šarec was mostly working as a comedian and political satirist. During this time, his famous stage persona was Ivan Serpentinšek, a grouchy rural character from Upper Carniola. He also imitated several famous people, including former president of Slovenia Janez Drnovšek, Karel Erjavec, Osama bin Laden, Fidel Castro, Anton Rop, Jelko Kacin, Janez Janša, Andrej Bajuk, and others. He was also working as a journalist and editor.
In the 2010 local election, Šarec ran for office of mayor of Kamnik, a city in north-central Slovenia. In a rare case among Slovenian media personalities who attempted to enter national or local politics, Šarec was successful. After finishing second in the first round, he narrowly won the runoff. After being a member of Zoran Janković's Positive Slovenia party, Šarec entered the 2014 local election with his own political list and was reelected in the first round with almost two thirds of the vote. After becoming an elected official, Šarec retired his stage personas and became fully committed to the work of the mayor.
In May 2017, Šarec announced he would run in the upcoming presidential election, likely to take place in December. Despite the media reminding him of his acting career, Šarec stated he was completely serious about the candidacy, as "the function of the president should be treated as a serious one". Criticizing the incumbent president Borut Pahor for treating the presidential function as a celebrity, Šarec is viewed as a potentially strong candidate, one who could attract the younger generation of voters and voters leaning towards the left side of political spectrum.
- "Župan | Občina Kamnik". Kamnik.si. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Video: Kvajdej poj, babe zoprne! :: Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija". Rtvslo.si. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Portret tedna: Marjan Šarec". Delo.si. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Marjan Šarec za predsednika države". Delo.si. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- Oznake. "Večer – Marjan Šarec za predsednika: Strici iz ozadja so izgovor šibkih". Vecer.com. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Na predsedniško mesto bi se radi zavihteli tudi estradniki :: Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija". Rtvslo.si. Retrieved 2017-06-19.